Our signature beige is called Turrón for Turrón de Alicante, a treat from the region in Spain where our shoes are crafted. This simple nougat recipe can be made easily with ingredients you may already have on hand.
Recipe for Turrón de Alicante (gluten and dairy free).
1/2 cup of sugar
1/2 cup of honey
2 egg whites
3/4 cup of blanched almonds
1 tsp of vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Toast almonds in the oven for ten minutes and put them aside. Reduce temperature to 170 degrees F.
3. On the stove, heat the honey on a low flame for fifteen minutes, then add sugar and stir for about another fifteen minutes. Be sure to continue stirring constantly. It should be a fine caramel color.
4. Separate eggs and add two egg whites to a mixer. Whip egg whites at high speed until there are soft peaks in the bowl. Keep your eye on and continue to stir the honey and sugar consistently.
5. Slowly begin to incorporate the honey mixture to the peaked egg whites while mixing on a low speed. Once they are mixed, turn up the speed to medium and continue to beat for 20 minutes. The transition of speed helps to prevent the honey and sugar mixture from sticking to the sides or blade – you can continue to gently alternate between slower and faster, spooning in the mixture in rotations.
6. When your turrón becomes soft and white, add almonds and vanilla extract. Take the toasted nuts and fold them into the mixture. Line a pan with parchment paper and a bit of cornstarch so that the Turrón does not stick too much.
7. Pour all of the mixture evenly into the pan and bake in the oven for two hours at 170 degrees F. Let it set for at least two hours or up to overnight. Slice and serve.
Recipe adapted from The Well Essentials.